In the 1971 movie “Dirty Harry”, Clint Eastwood plays a tough, street-smart cop. In the opening scene, he coolly stops a bank robbery by gunning down the bank robbers with his enormous, long-barreled, Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum handgun.
While implementing a change to the OpenVOS kernel, I found myself faced with the task of modifying about 150 files.
The other day during a discussion with some users it became clear to me that they did not understand under what conditions a Stratus VSeries system would call home regarding a network adapter.
With the trend away from running telnetd and FTPD and toward running SSHD many system administrators are removing the “telnet” and “FTP” service lines from the >system>stcp>services file.
When the ftStorage array was originally conceived the thinking was that when it was necessary to configure something on the array administrators would use either the command line interface from an OpenVOS login session or the OpenVOS console PC to access the GUI interface.
The SDLMUX software combines two network adapters into one IP interface, providing a fail over capability if the link on the active adapter goes down or the adapter fails. Once set up it requires virtually no administration but there are some things you should be aware of.
“The application has been running fine for years, last week the network was upgraded and we moved from 100 mbps to gigabit. Now the last half of the data in some messages is garbage. The network people swear it is not the network – but that is the only thing that changed.”
You can accomplish many programming tasks in VOS and OpenVOS without knowing the details of how the operating system manages the user address space. But it is fun to know the details, and sometimes to accomplish a task you need to adjust the default configuration. This post is an introduction to the VOS user address space.
After your VOS or OpenVOS module has been up for a while (a few months or more), you may notice that some of the metering values displayed by various analyze_system requests have gone negative, or some of the percentages are way off.
The other day while working an issue at a customer site I noticed and happened to mention that there were two sets of application processes running, one set running under some generic name like Production.