In this week’s weekly outage roundup, we saw some pretty big outages from companies like Google and Facebook as well as some regional, yet impactful, 9-1-1 and email outages. Check out our summary below and leave a comment if you heard of or experienced an outage that’s not included.

From Talking Points Memo:
U.N. Telecom Agency Confirms Outage, Calls For More Cybersecurity

On November 28,The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) (the official telecom agency of the United Nations) experienced a service outage that disrupted a global telecom summit in Dubai.


From NewsandSentinel: Suddenlink Email outage Affects Thousands

A Suddenlink email outage on the morning of December 2 led to the loss of email service to some 200,000 customers. Suddenlink chairman, Jerry Kent, said that most customers had their access restored by the end of the day.


From 911, Landline Phone Service Out to Silver Valley

In Kellogg, Idaho, Frontier Communications reported that phone service, including those for 9-1-1 calls, went down on December 5. The outage began around 2:45 pm and services were expected to be repaired within 12 hours.


From mybroadband: 8ta Downtime Complaints

On the morning of December 6, complaints began flooding social media regarding 8ta experiencing downtime throughout various regions of South Africa. 8ta did not provide details when asked for comment regarding the outages.

From Forbes:
Gmail Outage Embarrasses Internet Giant — Cause Was a Software Update

Google reported two outages on December 10, one that lasted six minutes and another that lasted twelve. The outage caused chaos for millions of Google Chrome users in addition to Gmail users, as many Chrome browsers crashed around the same time. According to ZDNet, the cause of the outage was determined to be from Google’s Sync Server experiencing a temporary failure.


From Technology Digital: Facebook Is Back After Suffering an Outage

Facebook was hit with an outage around 5:45 pm on December 10, the same day that Google went down. Users flocked to Twitter to complain about not being able to access the site at all, or in some cases simply not being able to see images. This was the second time in two weeks Facebook experienced an outage, this time with the site returning to full service after about 15 minutes.