Samuel Simmonds Memorial Hospital (SSMH) in Barrow, Alaska, the primary healthcare facility for the North Slope region, serves a population spanning an area larger than Washington State. Operated by the Arctic Slope Native Association (ASNA) and accredited by The Joint Commission, this 14-bed general medical facility ranks among the top hospitals nationwide for quality of service and patient safety standards. A 24/7/365 facility with 225 employees, SSMH provides out- patient, inpatient and emergency care for newborn through elderly patients, as well as a broad range of ob/gyn, dental, optometry, pharmacy, laboratory, audiology, physical therapy, respiratory therapy, radiology and other specialty clinic services.
- Remote Alaska hospital needed a continuous availability solution for its RPMS applications and EHR database
- The Stratus ftServer 2600 system’s fault-tolerant architecture and built-in virtualization protect the hospital’s critical systems against unplanned downtime and data loss
With the ftServer system running its virtualized clinical and administrative applications, SSMH has been able to:
- Keep its RPMS applications and EHR database up and running—all the time
- Earn Joint Commission accreditation and receive CMS incentive funding for meaningful use
- Help hospital staff deliver quality care with continuous access to systems and data