The need for a strong underlying infrastructure
Like any business critical applications, building automation and control applications have some specific needs and generally require a strong underlying technology infrastructure to be maximally effective. This foundation requires the following capabilities:
1. Standards Based Virtualization – It is expected that multiple vendors and technologies will be required to deliver the vision of a Smart Building. This means that the underlying infrastructure needs to be virtualization-ready with a wide range of support for different applications.
2. Continuous Availability – Since these technologies are critical and will be consolidated to a shared set of server resources, unplanned downtime is not an option. There are many ways to mitigate the risk of unplanned downtime but a highly available or fault-tolerant solution should be easy to deploy without any specialized development or skill and easy to service in the event of a failure.
3. A holistic solution-oriented view – One of the most difficult challenges in operating a Smart Building is understanding and resolving operational issues. While virtualization greatly reduces the complexity of systems, the number of devices and possibly virtual servers will increase. This means that an end-to-end view of the entire Smart Building (devices, applications and hardware) will decrease the challenges of identifying and even preventing issues before they occur.
The Stratus approach
Stratus keeps all your building management, automation, and security applications up and running 24/7/365, enabling you to ensure continuous operations and monitoring of your environmental, safety, and security systems. You can reliably and continuously monitor and manage the various systems in your facilities and any devices outside the network (ex. cameras, access control devices, etc.) giving you the ability to connect everything involved in building automation and security – making everything more dependable.
We offer a range of flexible high availability solutions — software, platform and services – that are easy to deploy and manage and backed by a support structure with a 30-year track record of success. It’s no wonder that a wide range of facilities — from nuclear power plants, dams and military bases to airports, sporting arenas, industrial facilities, educational institutions, and tourist attractions — put their trust in Stratus. Our solutions can be rapidly deployed in your chosen environment — physical, virtualized or cloud — without any changes to your applications.
These infrastructure based solutions enable you to
– Protect building automation and security applications with an always-on operating environment
– Monitor the entire building security system at all times through a single unified view
– Detect potential problems and proactively take action before downtime becomes an issue
– Scale easily to accommodate changing business requirements
– Support remote and lights-out data centers through automation
– Meet compliance requirements for data integrity and reliability in regulated industries
– Leverage 24/7/365 global support