*article and comment trail imported from previous forum platform.

Trying to change the fonts (i.e. size, bold etc) of a HP printer from the COBOL source. I believe that by placing a special binary character or set of characters in the print line before writing the print line would be recogonized by the printer and change the font. Any ideas or suggestions?

COMMENT 1: Comment by Noah Davids | 6/11/2009 6:39pm

If you are looking for what characters to add you need to know what mode the printer is in (postscript or (I believe that it is called) PCL), also what model printer (it may or may not make a difference) and what you actually want to do.

A quick goole search (HP printer font controls) found the following PCL sequence for changing to bold (s3B. The is the escape character.

See http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=b...

COMMENT 2: Comment by Noah Davids | 6/11/2009 6:46pm

Let me try again . . . . . . .

If you are looking for what characters to add you need to know what mode the printer is in (postscript or (I believe that it is called) PCL), also what model printer (it may or may not make a difference) and what you actually want to do.

A quick google search (HP printer font controls) found the following PCL sequence for changing to bold ESC(s3B. The is the "ESC" sequence represents the escape character.

See http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=b...

COMMENT 3: Comment by Steve | 6/12/2009 12:30pm

so if I have the following in my COBOL program

%replace bold_print by h'1B28733342';

and then move bold_print to the first 5 bytes of the print-rec; there is small possibility that it might work?

Steve

COMMENT 4: Comment by Noah Davids | 6/12/2009 12:44pm

It might.

COMMENT 5: Comment by Steve | 7/15/2009 10:39am

I am still struggling with this area. My next step will be to contact the printer company to see if they have any ideas. We will be purchasing printers for a project that I would like to try this with. Any advice on what printers that Stratus has had luck doing this with?

thanks

Steve

COMMENT 6: Comment by Noah Davids | 7/15/2009 1:35pm

Struggle in what way? I assume that sending the string did not work but what happened? I assume that this is a network attached printer, have you looked at a network layer TCP trace to confirm that the correct string is being sent without any modifications?