*article and comment trail imported from previous forum platform.

Hi

I have been trying of copy some files from a STRATUS computer in a ordinary PC but, when I send them using FTP (binary), the files are truncated. It seems that the index section of the files is not send. What I need is a complete backup of the file in order to be ready just in case. Can I do that? The files where created using COBOL on VOS Release 14.6.1bi in a STRATUS continuum, the PC has WXP SP2.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely

Adolfo Ponce.

COMMENT 1: Comment by Dan Danz | 6/2/2009 2:00pm

Adolfo:

If your intent is to just use the PC as external storage for backup and want to safely store your file there, and then bring it back to the same or a different VOS system, then the easiest way to do it is to create a save/restore file of it, and save that file on the PC. This will include the index data.

You can even save/restore multiple files and/or directory contents in this manner.

HOWEVER, you will have to use the bundle/unbundle utilities to encode and even compress the file that you transfer to/from the pc.

If you're running OpenVOS 17.0.1 or greater, the File Transfer commands bundle and unbundle are available in the system command_library. If you're on an earlier release of VOS, you can obtain the commands from the Stratus public FTP site. Instructions are at ftp://ftp.stratus.com/vos/utility/utility.html.

If your intent is to access the file thru the indices on the PC, then you've got a lot of code to write. The data is in a proprietary format, and while the general structure of the index data is discussed in training documents, the exact structure is not released publicly.

COMMENT 2: Comment by poncea | 6/5/2009 4:33pm

Dan:

Thank you very much, your answer is very helpful, by the moment I just want to use the PC as an external backup device, I found the VOS command save_object, I hope is the one you refer to.

Sincerely

Adolfo Ponce

COMMENT 3: Comment by Dan Danz | 6/8/2009 4:01pm

No, Adolfo, save_object is not the one I was referring to. That's just a specialized version of the save command.

To make the backup, you need two commands.
* save
* bundle

The result is a file that you can ftp (in binary mode) to the PC. When you need to get it back, you can ftp from the pc to the Stratus module and then use these two commands.

* unbundle
* restore

The major problem you have to overcome is that save produces (and restore consumes) an archive file that is a VOS sequential file. The PC does not understand the sequential file format, so the bundle command encodes it in a format that can be transported by FTP to a non-VOS system. The unbundle then decodes it back in the sequential format for restore to use.

COMMENT 4: Comment by bornlibra23 | 6/11/2009 11:07am

Or maybe you just would like to use ndmp or VOS backup agent!!!

COMMENT 5: Comment by poncea | 7/1/2009 1:50pm

Dan:
Tanks again, I revised the r285 manual and found de save command, I going to try it.

Bornlibra23:
Tank you too. Could you tell me where can I find more information about ndmp?

Both:
Pardon my delay, I just was engaged in another project.

I really appreciate your help

Sincerely
Adolfo Ponce

COMMENT 6: Comment by Dan Danz | 7/1/2009 2:01pm

A lot of the questions you're asking can be answered by visiting the Stratus Documentation site: http://stratadoc.stratus.com --

In particular, a search for NDMP on it reveals an entire manual, R615, that discusses the VOS Enterprise Backup Agent product.

COMMENT 7: Comment by poncea | 7/10/2009 8:16pm

thak you Dan